Anyone out there with a Mac Pro running 10.5.6? I've got one with 2x2.8GHz quad-core and 6gb of ram and half the time I might as well be trying to work on a brick. At the moment I've got Safari running - though this is only as a test against Firefox - with three tabs: pandora, gmail and a random other. Every few minutes pandora will grind to a stutter and I'll get the Beachball of Doom trying to do anything to Safari. And lest you think it's pandora or the network, it'll happen to Firefox even more regularly without pandora open. If I happen to be running iTunes, it'll get choppy too.
I've installed this thing countless times and poked at it with every stick I could find and it still sucks the most of out any desktop system I've ever had. Has anybody else seen anything like this or am I just fucked?
Edit: I should also say that Activity Monitor doesn't show anything particularly amiss. Plenty of free memory, little disk activity, no network errors. CPU will sometimes spike when it goes tits up, but that's no guarantee (especially with Safari).
I've installed this thing countless times and poked at it with every stick I could find and it still sucks the most of out any desktop system I've ever had. Has anybody else seen anything like this or am I just fucked?
Edit: I should also say that Activity Monitor doesn't show anything particularly amiss. Plenty of free memory, little disk activity, no network errors. CPU will sometimes spike when it goes tits up, but that's no guarantee (especially with Safari).
no subject
Date: 2009-05-06 08:53 pm (UTC)Open up Terminal, three windows, run "top -o rsize" in one, "vm_stat 60" in another (yes they stuck an underscore in the name, I don't know why), "iostat 60" in another. OS X is unix, you know how to poke around!
Also, and this is OS X specific, do an occasional ls -l of /private/var/vm to keep track of when it's creating new swap files, and how many there are. If there are a lot then OS X will do a lot of paging (even if it doesn't need to) and I'd recommend rebooting. It does sometimes dynamically remove these virtual memory files, but I've never been able to get it to remove more than two (so if you have 10 now, for example, I doubt you can get it below 8 without rebooting).
no subject
Date: 2009-05-06 09:03 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2009-05-06 09:09 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2009-05-06 10:27 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2009-05-06 08:54 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2009-05-06 09:05 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2009-05-06 09:10 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2009-05-06 09:34 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2009-05-06 11:17 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2009-05-06 09:05 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2009-05-07 01:20 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2009-05-06 08:56 pm (UTC)What third-party apps do you have installed?
Anything in the system.log file? You might want to add a line into syslog.conf to create a debug.log and capture everything. Might be a message not getting into the other logs that would help.
When you installed 10.5.6, was it with a combo updater or delta?
no subject
Date: 2009-05-06 09:04 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2009-05-06 09:06 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2009-05-06 10:31 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2009-05-06 10:43 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2009-05-06 10:26 pm (UTC)the hatterno subject
Date: 2009-05-06 10:28 pm (UTC)Same machine I have
Date: 2009-05-06 10:59 pm (UTC)If you want to test things on my machine let me know.
no subject
Date: 2009-05-07 02:44 am (UTC)Hey, brutha....
Wanna get some dtrace, cheap?
Oh. Crap. You already have dtrace. You're a lucky man, my brother.